Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Ways to avoid Writers block


     As a writer, I have come against my share of barricades in the process of thought to paper. You get your story in a flow and you start writing so fast your fingers barely can keep up and then, BOOM! Writers block. You have painted yourself into a corner and you have no way to get yourself out.I read article after article about avoiding writers block. I tried some of the methods, and then I came up with my own method.
      I love my family, and thank God they love me back because my method of getting out a corner was a bit of a shock to the system of a couple of them. My system involves just that! Shock and awe. My favorite person to do this to is my sister. I pick up the phone and dial her number and the conversation goes something like this.

 Sis- " Hey you! how is it going?"

  Me- " Spear or mace?"

Sis- " Pardon me?"

 Me- " Don't think, just say- Spear or Mace?"

Sis- " Well, in what context?"

Me- " Are you serious? Spear or Mace! Gah!"

Sis- " I'll have to say mace, since it's just not as..."

Me- "Ok thank you, I will talk to you in a few. Love you ! Bye"

    You think I'm kidding at this point, but truly I am not. I give like a minute and a half phone calls to make snap decisions to get out of my soppy painted corner. Spear or mace is not even the most horrific thing I've asked. One time I began with the sentence, " OK you've been scorned, you kill the guy by A) slaughtering him with your bare hands and or medieval weapon of your choice. Or B) you allow your dragon to hunt him down and shred him to pieces before roasting him in a ball of fire. "

    Nothing is better than involving loved ones who won't judge you ( too much you hope). 
Another way I have found really works, and I've read it before, is become your character. I seriously write a young lady character who is the complete opposite of myself, and I become her when I write. I don't stop and think OK, now what will I do, I think like her, what would she do? A lot of the time its the polar opposite of what I would do, and I always know I've chosen well when I feel myself smiling like an idiot as I write. 

   How do you avoid writer's block?  

No comments:

Post a Comment